Sunday, March 4, 2007

The Sword of the Spirit



Ephesians 6:17b - "...and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."



Okay, so by this point, you may think that I'm completely crazy. I mean, belts - okay. Necklace? I'm with you. But for real, a SWORD? I mean, I've seen those in the war movies that [insert some male in your life's name here] makes me watch, and I'm not thinking that's going to fit in my capris. But this is talking about the Holy Spirit's sword - God's Word - The Bible. I started thinking about why they would refer to it as a sword and here's what God gave to me...

A sword is dangerous if you don't know how to use it properly. Stop for a minute and try to picture me with a sword. I would hurt myself with that thing WAY before I would be able to protect myself from someone attacking me! Why? Because I've never taken the time to learn how to use one. I don't even know the proper way to hold it, let alone swing (Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not even the right word....but oh well!) it! So in order for me to be able to defend myself, I would have to spend time practicing every day. Go back to Pirates of the Carribean when Captain Jack Sparrow (the only man that I am completely fine with wearing eyeliner) and William Turner engage in their first sword fight. They have both been trained since they were children, and they practice every day! If you stop to think about it, you take time to do the things that are really important each day. What if one day you were just hanging out at your house with your parents and you didn't even acknowledge their presence? You would probably hurt their feelings. But how many days do we do that to God? We go about our daily routine and business, without even acknowleding the one who has given us everything. But the truth is, we need to be spending time in the Word daily so we can get to know Him. Remember how we talked about how God even knows how many hairs are on your head? Well, if He knows that much about you, don't you think you should try to get to know Him more? Psalm 119:11 says, "I have hidden Your Word in my heart, so I might not sin against You." Carry your sword, girls. Hide His Word in your heart that you will know how to use it when trouble comes - and not sin against your Daddy.

A sword is carried so you don't go into battle alone. Once you become God's child, he Holy Spirit comes by your side. And how about Jesus? Romans 8:34 tells us, "It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us." Let's put that in words that we might better understand. When Jesus ascended into Heaven, He took a seat on the throne to the right of God. When you mess up, Jesus is right there to say, "Forgive her, Father. She's mine." When you ask God to do something, Jesus is whispering in God's ear, "Come on, Dad. Hook her up. She's mine. I died for her." When you obey, Jesus is right there being, tugging on God's royal robe, exclaming, "Check her out! Dad, did you see that? I'm so proud - SHE'S MINE!" With salvation, you get your own holy posse. Deuteronomy 31:6 says, "Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.” Don't be intimidated by anything. God is right there holding your hand, and He's not going anywhere.

A sword is your weapon for battle. The Word of God is the best weapon you could ever ask for. Why? Because He knows everything! And we don't. For example, I remember the first time I saw My Best Friend's Wedding. I just wanted to know who was going to get the guy in the end, Julia Roberts or Cameron Diaz. Unfortunately, I was in the movie theater, so I didn't have control over it - I just had to wait it out. (If I had been watching on DVD, I more than likely would have watched the last scene and THEN gone back to watch the movie.) I like to know how things end so I can know whether to expect a happy ending or a sad ending. I do the same thing when I read fiction books. Sometimes, I want to know what's going to happen SO BAD that I will skip to the last chapter so I can be assured that everything will turns out the way I want it to! We can do the same thing with the Bible. If you've read Revelation, you know the end of the story. Revelation 18:10 proclaims, "And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever." We don't have to fight spiritual warfare FOR victory - He already won! We fight FROM Victory Himself! Revelation 5:13 speaks of Christ and says, "And every living thing which is in heaven and on the earth and under te earth and on the sea, and all things in them, I heard saying, "To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever."

So there you have it. Your outfit it complete. Copy and paste this next part into a blank document and hang this prayer on your closet door and pray it as you get dressed every morning...

Good morning, Daddy. Thank you for the rest You provided for me last night to prepare me for today. You are amazing, and I am so thankful that I get to spend everyday of my life with You. God, allow me to reveal Your truth today and to be a genuine follower of You in all that I do. Help me to be righteous in my actions. Give me peace and courage to share You with those that I come in contact with. Protect me from Satan, and do not let me act in a way that wouldn't please You. Help me to remember that I belong to you and that I am your princess. Help me to learn more about you, and walk with me today. Guide me and guard me. I love you. Amen.

No comments:

Esther 4:14b

"And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?"